Dental bonding is a cosmetic dentistry procedure whereby a tooth-colored dental material (a resin or plastic material) is attached to the tooth and hardened using a special light. The material eventually bonds to the tooth to restore it.
The dental bonding procedure can be considered for the following conditions:
- To protect a part of your tooth’s root that may be exposed due to receding gums.
- As a better cosmetic alternative than amalgam fillings
- To alter the shape of your teeth
- To make your tooth/teeth look longer
- To improve the appearance of stained or discolored teeth
- To repair cracked and chipped teeth
- To close up unnecessary gaps between teeth
- To repair decayed teeth (filling dental cavities with composite resins)
Dental Bonding Procedure
Dental bonding procedure involves the following steps:
- Tooth Preparation – dental bonding procedure requires that the affected tooth be prepared a little in advance. Unless the dental bonding is used for filling a decayed tooth, it may not require the use of anesthetics. Tooth preparation involves drilling the tooth to change its shape. Your dentist would also use a color guide to choose the closest composite resin color that closely matches the shade of your affected tooth.
- Dental Bonding Process – After preparing the affected tooth, the dentist would roughen the surface of the affected tooth and apply a conditioning liquid. By doing these, the bonding material sticks on to the tooth. The tooth-colored bonding material is then applied and fashioned to the desired shape before it hardens. A laser or bright light is usually used to harden the bonding material. Once the bonding material is hardened, it may be shaped and trimmed further by the dentist. The dentist would then polish it to perfectly match the shade and sheen of the remaining tooth surface.
Dental bonding procedure usually takes around 30 to 60 mins per tooth to be completed.
How Much Does Dental Bonding Cost?
The dental bonding procedure is relatively inexpensive compared to other dental treatments. There are several factors that determine the dental bonding cost. Nevertheless, the dentists at Dental Tomball TX are committed to providing patients with low-cost dental bonding treatments. The dentists ensure that their prices are affordable.
Dental bonding cost close to $100 to $400 per tooth. This makes it an affordable way to fix minor cosmetic dentistry. Its affordability yet dramatic results make it a popular option for cosmetic dentistry. Compared to porcelain veneers, the dental bonding procedure can help to transform the shape, size, and brightness of your tooth.
The final dental bonding cost varies from patient to patient and depends on a number of factors such as the location of the dental office, the extent of treatment, the treatment goal of the patients, and the number of teeth to be treated, etc.
Factors Affecting Dental Bonding Cost
Like stated above, several factors contribute to the varying dental bonding cost, these include:
- The number of teeth to be treated – the number of teeth to receive the dental bonding treatment will influence the dental bonding cost. For instance, the treatment cost for several teeth would definitely be greater than for a single tooth.
- The size of the affected area – how large the treatment is will also affect the cost of dental bonding treatment. For example, filling a small area of the tooth will cost less than filling a large area or resurfacing the entire tooth.
- The level of experience of the dentist – how experienced the dentist is will determine how much the dentist would charge for the dental bonding procedure. Though well-experienced, highly-reputable dentist would normally charge higher for their dental bonding services, they will also ensure that the procedure is carried out without complications and to achieve the desired results.
- The location of the dental office – where the dental office is located will determine the cost of treatment. Dental offices in larger cities tend to charge higher treatment costs.
- Additional treatments – additional treatments to the dental bonding will definitely attract additional fees and this will increase your expenses. For example, if a smile makeover is added to the dental bonding procedure, the treatment cost will be increased. However, some dental offices offer discounts for bundled dental treatments.
Contact Dental Tomball TX today to know more about our affordable dental bonding cost and options.
Though dental bonding is mostly considered as cosmetic dentistry and may not be covered by most insurance plans, some insurance plans would cover part or all of the dental bonding cost, especially if the dental bonding procedure is carried out to fill cavities or strengthen the structure of the tooth.
Dental Tomball TX accepts almost all insurance plans. Speak with one of our dentists today to schedule an appointment and get a price quote.
When Do I Need Dental Bonding?
You may need dental bonding for several minor dental conditions such as:
- Minor tooth damage
- Exposed roots from receding gums
- Dental decay
- Cracked or chipped teeth
Dental bonding treatment fixes all these minor dental issues so that you can regain your normal looks again.
Protecting Your Dental Bonding
Dental bonding is a great investment that must be protected. Though most bonding materials, such as the composite resin, are very durable, nevertheless some certain precautions must be taken to preserve them and maintain your radiant and healthy smile. To protect your dental bonding, refrain from the following:
- Consuming too much of dark diets, such as coffee and berries, or diets high in dye.
- Smoking tobacco or using tobacco products
- Using your teeth as a tool or to open packages
- Biting your nails
If you suffer from bruxism (unconscious grinding or clenching of the teeth), consult your dentist to discuss protective measures. Your dentist may suggest splints and mouth guards to prevent your teeth from touching.
How to Avoid the Need for Dental Bonding
Like popularly said “prevention is better than cure,” preventing the need for dental bonding treatment is actually the best and this will save any cost on treatment no matter how small it is. By simply observing excellent dental hygiene practices and properly caring for teeth can help you to avoid the need for dental bonding. Ensure that you:
- Brush and floss at least twice daily
- Avoid chewing or biting down on hard objects like hard candy, ice, pencil, etc.
- If you are a sportsperson, wear a mouth guard during sports
Schedule an appointment with our friendly dentists at Dentist Tomball TX Today.